Search This Blog

Thursday 24 March 2011

Question 2 - How does your media product represent particular social groups?


Festivals are a way of life and festival goers build up a strong loyalty after going to many gigs and festivals each year, this means I believe that a festivals magazine would build up a strong loyal following.

These images show the range of people Sound fields aims to represent:




 






































As previously stated, my target audience is young men and women aged 16 to 35, who are not only music fans but crucially festival goers. My readers will be attending festivals like Glastonbury and Reading at least once every year and gigs outside the festival season. They will probably either be teenagers, students or young adults in classes B, C1, C2 & D.

Festivals attendance 2010

Reading
80,000
Glastonbury
177,500
Leeds
70,000
V (2 sites)
90,000
Total
417,500

Attendance Figures over the last 10 years

Glastonbury
(commenced 1970)
Latitude (commenced 2006)
Isle Of Wight Festival (commenced 2002)
2000
105,000


2001
No festival


2002
140,000

8,000
2003
145,000

15,000
2004
150,000

35,000
2005
160,000

50,000
2006
No festival
5,000
50,000
2007
170,000
10,000
60,000
2008
175,000
20,000
55,000
2009
177,000
25,000
55,000
2010
177,500
35,000
                            



Even just looking at the biggest festivals in the UK, it is clear that the market is huge. Although my target audience is niche, it attracts a large number of the population. As shown in the mood board above, the social group represented by gig and festival goers is wide and varied in age, ethnicity, social class, education and fasion. What is common to them all is a passion for music, fun and friendship, Sound field's intention is to represent young festival goers of both genders equally, all ethnic groups (although my original images do not present ethnic diversity, Sound fields would present a range of images representing ethnic diversity)


Cover

I think that my cover is a classic festival image and would attract many festival goers. It is an iconic representation of a festival which people would recognise immediately. The story of the flags would be representative of my social group as the social side of gigs and festivals is crucial. The coverline is a plea, "how will we find our mates?" where the magazine is identifying itself with the social group it represents, creating a sense of fellowship. This is also the sort of story that could overspill into social media, eg a Facebok group called "bring back the flags", which would encourage the readers to interact with each other creating even greater loyalty.

Double page spread
 
My mock interview portrays a teenage star who could easily be a reader of the magazine himself. I have chosen to show this person as a typical young man, eating lots, passionate about music, not money and enjoys attending festivals himself. This reflects the reader back to themselves. My interviewee represents the social group I am trying to represent:

“He has been attending gigs and festivals since he was 8 and has kept going ever since”.
“There is no way I am leaving in a limo and missing all the fun”.

Contents
One of the articles mentioned on my contents page talks about Littleboylost, who have fans in the lower age range that my magazine is representing. Being only 16/17 themselves, their fans are young teenagers, many of whom follow them on Facebook.

















Many of these fans would be too young to attend a festival by themselves but are still part of the readership I want to represent, which is why I have included gigs, reviews and fun articles. These teenagers will be coming up to attending their first festival and my magazine would prepare them for what to expect.


The font I have chosen throughout is funky, different and fun, like the people I am trying to represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment