Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 March 2011

2nd attempt at front cover


I believe that my first main image was too cluttery (the branches from the trees), meaning that my text would not be easy to read. I was at an advantage with this photo because I could crop the white background out of the image of the person performing and merge it with a suitable background.

1. Background - I chose to use an orange/red/yellow type background found in photoshop, I think that this suits the cover as it looks like the figure is performing in front of a crowd and stage lights. The colours are also sunset colours and as this is an outdoor festivals magazine, it would also look like the sun setting over the concert.

2. I kept the star puff from my previous attempt because I thought that worked.

3. I kept the basic format of the cover lines, the left aligning at the left hand side and right aligning at the right hand side made my magazine look proffesional.

4. I changed my masthead because it was too plain on the first attempt - I had feedback saying it was too dull and needed jazzing up. I looked at other magazine mastheads and most of them are in the top left third for maximum shelf sale. I decided that this was a much better idea and that my masthead needed a much more striking layout. I tried featuring my title in a musical note shape (in previous blog post) to make it distinctive but I tried this on the page and it wouldn't work in larger form. I decided that the feature that would make my masthead distinct would be effects on the letter 'S'. I experimented with layering effects to find the most suitable look for the masthead and gold emphasis on the 'S' would attract the viewer to buy the magazine.

5. I added a black stripe underneath the masthead to make it distinctive.

6. I changed the format of my headline, I didn't think the writing on the board looked striking enough and the white writing was not distinctive enough. I used a similar effect on the writing as the 'S' on the masthead.

I think this looks much more proffessional than my first work.

 
I used photoshop on my main image to crop out the background surrounding the figure. Here are the results
I used a photograph taken at a previous festival and edited the image so that I could use the crowd in my cover.


1 comment:

  1. This is great, Will. You have put a great deal of thinking and planning into both of your cover versions, but I think that this version signals the purpose (gig guide) visually and its colours are dynamic and vibrant, reflecting the energy and enthusiasm of the events. Well done. The cover lines work well with the sharp blue accent on the two and three deck cover lines in whites and yellows against the strong orange.

    ReplyDelete