Search This Blog

Monday 21 March 2011

Promoting my product

When I went to the BFI on Wednesday 2nd March, there was a talk from a Eran Creevy, who came to talk about his new film"Shifty". He talked about promoting and distributing low budget films. The distributer analyses the target audience and the distribution method is chosen to fit with the target audience's lifestyle. This has made me think about the distribution of my magazine and where and how it could be promoted.

A target audience of festival goers is wide ranging, from young Financial Times reading stockbrokers for whom festival is an escape, through teenagers for whom it is a neccesity to families who have been going for years and now take their kids.

My main audience is young adults, and as they are more likely to be regular internet browsers, this would seem to be a sensible place to promote the magazine. Being a niche market, festival websites are probably the place where most of my target audience would visit at some stage, so I should promote my magazine through festival websites, with links through Facebook and Twitter.

For the first year, it would be worth giving out free copies at a festival to then move up for sponsorship. Q magazine produce the Glastonbury Daily - a newspaper style handout summarising the previous day's and forthcoming events. This promotes Q magazine very successfully.

My aim would be to cover the main global festivals (Benicassim, Coachella, Snowbombing etc.) but my aim would be to distribute my magazine nationally within the UK. The main focus therefore would be British festivals and gigs. Advertising would be done nationally both online and in other ways (at festivals etc.).

1 comment: