Search This Blog

Monday 31 January 2011

Immersing myself in media!

I got a subscription to LOVEFILM for christmas and I think it is fantastic. I have listed many titles from its massive catelogue of absolutely everything. It is like a film library and as soon as something on my wish list is available, it is mailed straight to me. Like library books, the DVDs are bar-coded so they can check on their stock.

I am trying to watch films to help with my A level studies as well as enjoyment. I am already noticing different camera angles, lighting etc.

Because I am studying British film for media studies, I have short-listed many British titles and have already watched:
  • The Commitments
I am trying to watch as many music related films as I can. I thought that although it was dated, I believe that it was very effective despite a very straight forward approach. Still on my list include Ray, Help, Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll.
  • Calendar Girls
British feelgood starring Hellen Mirren, Julie Walters and Philip Glenister. Quite enjoyed this and conveyed good messages. However, this was a bit simple for my type of film.
  • East is East
I enjoyed this film because it lies in the same genre as The Full Monty and Brassed Off!, all comedy drama films raising social issues. This film was cross-racial appealing to a wider audience and showing an awareness in the changes in British society, particularly with the young people of mixed race marraiges. This film also broke boundaries showing domestic violence and rascist language on screen.
  • Trainspotting
Danny Boyle's cult classic was fantastic as it was shocking, sad, humorous and thought provoking. This film had very effective camera angles; in the scenes in the flat, all the camera angles were shot from the floor, at the same level as the crawling baby.
  • Get Carter
Top quality Michael Caine gangster movie with very inspired use of camera angles and lighting for a film shot 40 years ago. But as Michael Caine is my favourite actor, I might be a bit biased.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent background research, Will. You are getting to grips with a wide variety of genres and will be taking in a number of different representations, which will serve you well for this summer's exam on representation (in TV drama) as well as in your exploration of the institution of British cinema. As you go, pick contemporary examples and look at who produced each film, how successful it was (commercially & critically), how it was marketed.

    ReplyDelete